The Chelsea Bridge that we see today was built in 1937 and was the first self-anchored suspension bridge in Britain, – built entirely with materials sourced from within the British Empire. It is floodlit from below at night, and the towers and cables are illuminated by 936 feet (285 m) of light-emitting diodes.
The Grosvenor Canal is one of the shortest canal in London and used to extend to Victoria. It remained in use until 1995, enabling barges to be loaded with refuse for removal from the city, making it the last canal in London to operate commercially. It was built in 1825 by the Chelsea Waterworks Company, whose premises were situated by the River Thames at Pimlico. The remaining waterworks building, known as the Western Pumping Station and built in 1875, and now forms part of Chelsea Bridge Wharf development.
This area is a great place for photographs at any time of day not only because of the river and the local areas around Grosvenor Canal, but because Battersea Power Station, Battersea Park, and the Royal Chelsea Hospital /parks are close by.