Admiralty Arch is next to Trafalgar Square in the centre of London, and adjoins the Old Admiralty Building, hence the name.
Admiralty Arch is a large office building that has an archway in the middle of it to provide road and pedestrian access between The Mall, and Trafalgar Square. It was designed by Sir Aston Webb, and completed in 1912. . The building was commissioned by King Edward VII in memory of his mother Queen Victoria, although he did not live to see its completion. A Latin inscription along the top reads:(In the tenth year of King Edward VII, to Queen Victoria, from most grateful citizens, 1910)
The Mall side has other areas of photographic interest including the statues, the Old Admiralty building, Carlton Place and the ICA and Mall Galleries. Mornings often show off the site in its best light, however the Trafalgar Square side is often in shadow unless the sun is really high in the sky in summer or you catch it very early in the morning.
Admiralty Arch “nose”.
On the inside wall of the northernmost arch there is a small protrusion the size and shape of a human nose.. The nose is at a height of about seven feet, and sits at waist high for anyone riding through the arch on a horse. Tradition holds that the nose is there in honour of the Duke of Wellington, who was known for having a particularly large nose. Royal soldiers would rub Wellington’s nose for good luck as they rode through the arch
Photo © Philip Carey